Saturday, July 10, 2010

Enchantment: soul is a receptive power within us

Dr. Don Meyer, president of Valley Forge Christian College in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania features Thomas Moore's book, The Re-Enchantment of Everyday Life (1996) in his column, "Think about it: The enchanting world of nature", published by The Phoenix today. Meyer shares Moore's observations about enchantment:
"Moore defines enchantment as "a spell that comes over us, an aura of fantasy and emotion that can settle on the heart and either disturb it or send it into rapture and reverie." He speaks of falling in love and how it effects more than just life with that person. It affects all of life. Everything we see and hear and feel and do is enchanted by the love we have for one other person."
After quoting Moore's view, "In general, it's difficult to imagine being busy and enchanted at the same time. Enchantment invites us to pause and be arrested by whatever is before us; instead of our doing something, something is done to us. This is the way of the soul, which is primarily the receptive power in us; by letting ourselves be slowed down and effected by nature...", Meyer describes his own enchantment, "As I read those words something stirs deep inside of me. It feels somewhat mysterious, even mystical. I guess that's why I like the word enchantment. And I have discovered I don't need to travel far to experience it. I can drop my briefcase off in the kitchen, take off my suit coat and tie, roll up my sleeves and go for a walk in my flower garden and that enchantment comes over me. I feel it as I look at the hydrangeas opening up and just touches of blue and pink appear on those delicate petals."

Labels: