Saturday, February 04, 2012

Let's look at deep sensuality as enhancing life

For the site Handbook for Heroines, Jill Hinton writes "Why I have the hots for Jesus" that offers a possible online dating profile for him. Hinton assures readers that she doesn't mean to sound irreverent as she describes Jesus as a possible love interest. She writes, "The idea that Jesus would make an awesome boyfriend first showed up while I was reading Thomas Moore’s The Soul of Sex: Cultivating Life as an Act of Love. This is hands down one of the most influential books I’ve ever read, one I think should be required reading in college. It posits the revolutionary idea that there’s a positive, life-enhancing way to look at sensuality that leaves behind all the self-loathing and inauthenticity that comes along with modern views of sex."

Hinton imagines, "Although I don’t really consider myself a Christian in the traditional sense of the word, I do believe Jesus embodied just about every value I try to live. He was an amazingly compassionate and influential man who encouraged us to be open to life, to deepen our understanding of others and to deepen our convictions of kindness. To paraphrase Thomas Moore, Jesus’s life 'reminds us that the kingdom of heaven is not a destination, but something that resides in and around all of us.' In other words, deep conversations with him at Kava House would be amazing (I picture him ordering dark roast, free-trade certified coffee)."

After acknowledging a traditional view of Jesus as celibate, she quotes Moore directly:
"'…it may seem a contradiction to be chaste and morally tolerant, but Jesus’ celibacy never seems anxious or repressive. It allows him to love in an embracing way and is so comfortable a part of his philosophy and style that he doesn’t have to judge others for their sexual ways.'”
Hinton continues, "Jesus was a guy who was in love with life. He embodied a beautiful audacity and was 'able to live with an intensity inaccessible to most,' according to Moore. So it’s not all that surprising that this is exactly what I’m looking for in a guy who I want to spend the rest of my life with." She includes a picture of Jesus for his online  profile.

Labels: