Tuesday, May 01, 2012

We are all called to be healers according to Moore

Today Wise Way Tribe offers reflections in "Jesus as Healer" by Elena who is rereading Thomas Moore's book, Writing in the Sand: Jesus and the Soul of the Gospels. She shares a passage in which Moore touches on the roles of the Buddha and the Christ that includes:
"Jesus does not teach how to be virtuous, how to be saved, or how to be a good church member. He says nothing about memorizing dogma or following a strict set of moral rules. Instead, he continually demonstrates how to be in this world as a healer."
Elena responds, "I find this perspective so inspiring. Moving away from judgment, rules and regulations, to focus on healing and becoming whole. Also, in my current reading of the Gospel of Mark, I’m realizing for the first time how concerned Jesus was about feeding people."

Elena also mentions learning about different religious traditions: "I think my study of Buddhism and Taoism has deeply informed my understanding of Jesus and what he was all about. I think for me the Good News makes much more sense when approached from these directions, rather than the hellfire preacher or rigidly structured, Pope-dictated way." This is an approach also advocated by Moore.

Labels: