Monday, June 04, 2012

Writer recommends ways to satisfy soul's desires

John McElhenney, self-described excitable learner, writer, dad, creative, author of The Twitter Way, writes "Love Money Ambition: Finding Your Sweet Spot and Career" about his love of writing. He shares:
"In Thomas Moore's Care of the Soul, he talks about listening to where your heart gets it's greatest excitement. When you talk to others, what topics and ideas really get your blood boiling. Perhaps that is where your soul will be most satisfied.
So I studied Creative Writing at an expensive university with no real idea of what I wanted to do for a living. I wanted to be a writer. I still want to be a writer. And in the last 25+ years since graduating, I have done a good bit of writing. And here's the kicker, I am a writer, simply by the act of writing. There is a difference between being a writer and making a living as a writer. But here's were the new economy gets interesting.
McElhenney describes his college program and his employment choices:
"In my highest ambition, I am sure I will publish a novel or two, at least a few tech books, and perhaps a screenplay. I would like to be seen, eventually, as a writer. That is my dream and my ambition. I am still pushing towards that idea every day.
And every day I am also working out how to pay my bills. Today I am about 80% of the way there. I am actually doing something I love, I believe in the power of communication and social media to change the world. I see it changing business and I am part of that change."
He concludes, "Find your "know and love" mix in "do for money" and never give up the "ambition and dreams." That's what college is for. Find the formula that works for you."