Saturday, November 21, 2015

Columnist vows to try harder to live in the moment

". . . And he told me he thought people who sought ways to see their own religious traditions with fresh eyes and new perspective were doing a good work. 'But it does take imagination,' he said, handing my book to me." 
Owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Deseret News publishes Jerry Earl Johnston's piece about attending Thomas Moore's book signing for A Religion of One's Own, "A man for all seasons of the heart".

Johnston
Johnston writes: "I heard him speak about the book in a West Coast bookstore not long ago. I liked what he had to say that night. I also liked the way he said it. Moore has mastered the art of living in the present moment. His mind doesn’t race ahead or drift off. He listens attentively, monitors his emotions and remains open to any and all spontaneous impressions that come his way. That ability, often associated with Buddhism, is the polar opposite of a performance. A performance is canned, prepackaged. Living in the moment is about being aware."

After receiving his signed book, Johnston concludes, "In that moment, I vowed to try harder to live in the moment. In fact, in my moment with Thomas Moore, it seemed like the only way to live."